Megan Horton Dedicated to 14 year old Megan Horton who, on a Sunday this past June, was the recipient of a donor heart. Megan is recovering well, but unfortunately medical bills mount. My enlightened company has blessed me with a sabbatical, so I'm cycling from Yorktown, Virginia to Austin Texas. The ride is dedicated to Megan, and I'm collecting pledges for miles ridden. Read more about Megan's journey at her site. Read more about mine here.

25 October 2006

Tuesday, 24 October 2006
Washington D.C.

Rest day, and time to repack. I had a great relaxing day visiting with my sister-in-law, Vicki, had a late brunch, and headed off on my bike for Georgetown. The cleats on my shoes are worn down to the point of failure, and after calling around it seems that the only shop in the area that carries Campagnolo equipment is the Bicycle Pro Shop in Georgetown. I also picked up a pair of heavy gloves, and leg and arm warmers. The temperature is in the 40’s, and my Texas weather gear is no match for the wind. A cold front has descended into the area, much to the disappointment of the shop owner, as it signals the end of his bicycle season.

After biking through Georgetown, exploring the campus and row houses, and discovering the canal system, I head down the east side of the Potomac River to the Lincoln Memorial. I get there just as the sun is setting and am there at the “Magic Moment”, as Patrick and Vicki call it. The setting sun rays play optical tricks with the spire of the Washington Monument, and standing on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial I am able to catch the changes.

Then I head to my brother’s home, following an extensive network of trails – from the Mount Vernon Trail I connect with the Custis trail, and soon converges on the Washington and Old Dominion (W&OD) trail that extends 45 miles to Leesburg. Tomorrow I intend to head out that way.

But first I have to shed some weight. While Patrick watches the 3rd game of the World Series, I discover the source of my problems. Electronics gadgets have a cost – weight. I decide that my trip is more important than keeping in touch. I’m going to have to shed the computer and the cameras. When I pulled out the scales, I was shocked:

Weight of electronics and gear:

  • Olympus E-1 Camera and lens = 3.25 lbs
  • Olympus 200mm zoom and case = 3.1 lbs
  • Olympus battery charger = .75 lbs
  • Brunton SolarRoll 14 watt & assoc. electronics = 3.1 lbs
  • Dell Latitude 300, charger and mouse = 4.25 lbs
  • Dell battery and recharge kit = 1.5 lbs
  • Olympus flash = .75 lbs
  • Misc. - .55 lbs
  • Aluminum pot = 1 lbs.

Total = 19.55

So by shedding the unnecessary gear, I can shed 20 lbs from my load. The correct decision is obvious. From this point on, I’ll be taking notes by hand and taking pictures with a compact digital camera, and blogging when I can find a library or internet café with free computer access.

So to all who were hoping to follow the journey, I apologize. I’ll add the daily entries when I return or get access. And I’ll see you back in Austin! Go Megan!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home