Megan Horton Dedicated to 14 year old Megan Horton who, on a Sunday this past June, was the recipient of a donor heart. Megan is recovering well, but unfortunately medical bills mount. My enlightened company has blessed me with a sabbatical, so I'm cycling from Yorktown, Virginia to Austin Texas. The ride is dedicated to Megan, and I'm collecting pledges for miles ridden. Read more about Megan's journey at her site. Read more about mine here.

25 October 2006


Sunday, 22 October, 2006
Williamsburg to Richmond (approx. 65 miles)

It was overcast and threatening when I woke up today. Bill and I said our goodbyes and he headed off to check on some samples that he had running at VIMS. I packed and called Brendan to meet for coffee and breakfast at Aroma's.

While we were eating it starting pouring down rain. It made it all the more difficult to leave the warm cafe, but I knew that I had to get moving to make Richmond. Brendan, a very capable and talented photographer, decided to get a picture of me in front of the Christopher Wren building before I departed. The Christopher Wren building serves as the icon of the College of William and Mary. It is the oldest continuously operating university school building in the country. It is where Thomas Jefferson received his formal education. As a student, I took all of my English classes in this building. And finally, my wife Cindy ('77) and I ('79) were married in the small chapel in this building the summer after graduation. Only a few weeks ago I learned that we were married over a crypt, buried beneath the chapel, containing the remains of some of the historic dignitaries of the college.

The trip from Williamsburg to Virginia was a good test, both as my first long trailering experience and to try out my gear in the rain. I traveled along Route 5, also known as the James River Plantation historic byway. Crossing the Chickahominy River, I almost went slipped on the drawbridge grates, which were slick from the rain. I had to dismount and carefully walk across the bridge. Much of the geology of this region is documented on the William and Mary Geology Department website: http://www.wm.edu/geology/virginia/rivers/chickahominy.html

Along the way I passed plantation after historic plantation. President John Tyler, Robert E. Lee's family, and others resided in these homes. Many are now open to the public.


Entering Richmond from the south side of town, Route 5 turns into Main Street and passes through the historic warehouse and rail district south of the city. The climb up Main Street to Richmond proper was a challenge, but not unbearable. I finally arrived at my parent's home north of the city after dark.


Monday, Oct. 23, 2006

Richmond / Mount Vernon / Burke, VA

Today I compromise. I had planned to cycle from Richmond to Fredericksburg, and then from Fredericksburg to Washington DC. But everyone that I’ve talked to have told me the same thing. Fredericksburg is not the sleepy little historic town that I remember, but is now almost a suburb of Washington DC. “Shack” didn’t think that there were many good cycling routes between the cities. I looked on the web, and found a route documented, but there seemed to be dozens and dozens of road changes, no strip longer than a few miles. I decided to acquiesce to my father’s desire to drive me to Mount Vernon, where I could continue my trip.

Somehow, growing up in Virginia, I had missed visiting Mount Vernon, the palatial (at least by colonial standards) home of George Washington. Unlike some of his peers (significantly fellow Virginian Thomas Jefferson), Washington was wealthy and a good businessman. He married the wealthiest widow in the Virginia colonies (Martha Custis) from New Kent, Virginia to the south. He builds the estate up to 8,000 acres on one of the most desirable locations along the Potomac. I couldn’t believe the view. The Potomac seemed especially wide at this point, and with the giant old trees and fall colors it is particularly dramatic.

The Mount Vernon’s Ladies Association purchased the property from the Washington family in 1858 and have maintained it ever since. They originally purchased the site and 200 acres, but the acreage has slowly been expanding. The grounds were very well maintained and the tour was enjoyable. Like most colonists, Washington’s home started out modest, but over time was expanded to the impressive 14 room structure that we see today.

From Mount Vernon I headed up to the Mount Vernon Trail towards Washington DC. The trail is paved and stretches for 18 miles along the Potomac River. In places it passes over long wooden bridges that extend over grassy marshes. It is an absolutely wonderful trail, and a great way to see the river, the surrounding forests and suburbs, and the old industrial sections before ending in downtown DC. It passes right by the airport, and jets passed right overhead as I cycled by. Commuters were numerous, and blasted past me in their rush to the suburbs and their homes.

This was a learning experience for me from the bicycle standpoint. My trailer was just way too heavy. When my father dropped me off, I added back all the camping gear that I head left with him in Richmond. The trailer felt like it weighs 100 lbs. I’ve got to lighten the load! I could not get the bike moving at all, I probably averaged only 6 or 7 miles per hour. My bike frame flexed more than I’ve ever experienced and I’m worried about what the stresses and strains will do to the lugs and welds. I’d hate to break the bike, or the trailer.

I resolve that I’ve got to re-think my trip plans. It was romantic to think that I could bring a laptop, and blog all the way back. And I’m guessing that my professional Olympus E-1 camera, lenses and flash add some significant weight. And all the associated chargers to keep everything running. When I get to my brother Patrick’s in Burke, Va., I’m going to have to re-pack.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home