Megan Horton Dedicated to 14 year old Megan Horton who, on a Sunday this past June, was the recipient of a donor heart. Megan is recovering well, but unfortunately medical bills mount. My enlightened company has blessed me with a sabbatical, so I'm cycling from Yorktown, Virginia to Austin Texas. The ride is dedicated to Megan, and I'm collecting pledges for miles ridden. Read more about Megan's journey at her site. Read more about mine here.

25 October 2006

Thursday, 19 October, 2006
Richmond.

Woke up in my parent’s house which is located near the University of Richmond. Comforting to get prepared for a trip like this in one’s parent’s home.

The weather is overcast today, not raining but threatening. I’ve got to put my bike and trailer together, and thinking about taking it easy. I stayed at work late on Tuesday, and even later packing, so I’m still recovering.

Thanks to the heavy duty bike case designed for shipping (courtesy of Mike Zimmermann – this is a “Zimmer-rigged” trip), my bike appears to be in great shape. The trailer is an easier assembly, so I started with it first. I’m using a Yakima “Big Tow” trailer (also loaned to me by Mike just for this trip), which is no longer available, but looks just like a B.O.B. trailer which is available at stores like REI. Other than a little “crunchiness” in the sealed bearings of the wheel, the trailer assembles easily. I add some lubricant to the bearings with some Phil Woods grease, and it’s ready to go.

The bike takes a little longer. I find that I’ve lost a cable pressure plate for the front brake, probably in packing. Also, a rubber cover for the handlebar bolt, which helps shed sweat to avoid rust. I’m a little worried about the headset, as a lot of solvent was sprayed down this area to free a frozen (rusted) handlebar compression fitting. Sure enough, when I check the bearings, they are dry, both top and bottom. Some more “Phil Woods” it’s ready. I also add a seat post mounted rack, as I’ve purchased a large rack bag to hold rain gear, emergency repair tools and tubes, and my Olympus camera.

By the time I’m finished, it’s late, and raining.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home